Sunday, October 31, 2010

Dare 33 - Heading Towards the Future Together

First off, I have to laugh at the scripture reference.....

"If two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone?" - Ecclesiastes 4:11

I'm PRETTY sure we're not talking about what it looks like we're talking about.  Honestly, I THINK the point is that together we generate progress that can't possibly be achieved by oneself.

I followed the directions and talked to Ron about working together.  We both feel that we do work well together when we have common goals.  But there are times when our vision is completely opposites.  Retirement is a good example.


Ron really wants to retire to .....


I want to retire anywhere that has.....











I do worry whether we can find happy mediums in these goals.  Right now, we have problems even taking vacations together.  Ron is such a risk taker....I mean real REAL scary stuff.


Okay, maybe not quite this bad, but then again...... he can be really, really scary.
Yup, that's Ron, on top of a bridge.  This, my friends, is NOTHING


I really want him to be happy, but I also want him to be careful and ...well.....alive would be good.

So how do we have a happy medium when we feel so diametrically opposed in this matter?  Ron wouldn't be happy being tied down, but I am constantly afraid of him or someone else getting hurt.  I think I have reason to fear.  He's constantly living on the edge, convinced that he has some sort of super power keeping him safe.  I don't think there is any such thing a being protected from being stupid (I know, that sounds so mean - but that's how the courts, the rescue team, innocent by-standers and the evening news would view it too).

So do I really stop worrying?  Well, I've been trying to.  Unless it's a circumstance where someone is in definite danger (Ron on a cell phone while driving is a good example), I am working on letting him have the room he needs.  I'm just not at the point where I can be with him when he's doing his death defying acts.  If I am there, I'm not happy!

But I appreciate him, and I recognize that Ron just plain has more fun than I do.  I can understand that my way (the SAFE way) isn't always the ONLY way.

But I still can't watch.

Next Challenge - Day 34  Find a specific, recent example when your spouse demonstrated Christian character in a noticeable way.  Verbally commend then for this at some point today.

Psalm 101:2  I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way.  O when wilt though come unto me?  I will walk within my house with a perfect heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment