Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Dare 23 - Let go of addiction and influence

This one is easy - but I asked Ron to identify it just to be clear...



Ron will always say that I spend too much time in front of the computer and the television.  I've tried many times to say I would get off of the computer and tv when Ron got home, but then....:

  1. Ron goes to work on his fish tank or his tractor, or the hot tub, or his computer; or
  2. I am behind in my work and HAVE to work in the evening to catch up; or
  3. There is a show on that I want to watch; or
  4. There was a show I recorded that I wanted to watch, so I watch it in the daytime - which puts be behind, which makes me need to - - - - work at night to catch up.

Lots of excuses.

Time to get back to a real commitment.  If I wait for Ron to do the right thing then I'm letting go of the opportunity for ME to do the right thing regardless.  But it will only work if I can learn not to expect this standard from Ron.  Whether it's right or wrong must become irrelevant.  I can give Ron my time and attention because I know it will make us both happy, or I can be unhappy because I expect him to make the same decisions I'm making.  But that only harbor resentment and failure.  Is that REALLY what I want?  Resentment and failure?  And if I'm the one feeling that way, can I really hold Ron responsible?


Next Challenge - Dare 24 - End it now.  Identify every object of lust in your life and remove it.  Single out every lie you've swallowed in pursuing forbidden pleasure and reject it.  Lust cannot be allowed to live in a back bedroom.  It must be killed and destroyed-today-and replaced with the sure promises of God and a heart filled with His perfect love.


1 Peter 2:16 - As free, and not using your liberty for a cloke of maliciousness, but as the servants of God.



No comments:

Post a Comment