Thursday, September 23, 2010

Day Six - adding margins, subtrating negative motivations

I'm being challenged to react to tough circumstances in loving ways without any irritation. 

Huh.  To accomplish that, I'm being instructed to make a list of areas where I need to 'add margins' to my schedule.

So, time control is something I am very bad at.  I work from home.  I have an office.  I work on a computer.  If I turn the television on, it doesn't go off until I stop work for the night.  That is a waste of time.  How does that affect my marriage?  Well, I'm committed to putting in 110% to my job.  So if I don't do that in the daytime, I'm going to do it at night. 

So my margin is going to be to NOT turn on the television all morning and up to at least 2:00 p.m.  Having it on a little is not a problem because I have always have some mind numbing work that allows a multi-tasker like me to catch up on some low brain wave work every afternoon.  If I stick to that, I don't need to work at night AND I'm not watching shows Ron and I don't watch together (can anyone say "Project Runway?") when he's home.



Of course, Ron likes his television time too - not regular tv, because he absolutely loathes commercials.  He watches Netflix (the instant online membership version).  So, my task to avoid negative motivations is to recognize that just because I've cleared the evening for Ron doesn't mean he's going to clear it for me.  Ron works hard every day and he deserves to unwind how it best suits him.  So, that means that I find some positive ways to spend my evenings AND to bed on time without pouting if Ron doesn't come to bed with me.  (That's a hard one.  I've been having lots of problems with it.....Lots.  Big....HUGE)


Funny thing is, this journaling every night is not expanding my time - it is limiting it.  But sacrifices need to be made, and I can find the time if I prioritize.

Tomorrow's challenge is:

For today's dare, get two sheets of paper.  On the first one, spend a few minutes writing out positive things about your spouse.  Then do the same with negative things on the second sheet.  Place both sheets in a secret place for another day.  There is a different purpose and plan for each.  At some point during the remainder of the day, pick a positive attribute from the first list and thank your spouse for having this characteristic.

Phillipians 4:8  Finally, bretheren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, and whatsoever things are of good report, if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment