Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Day Five - How irritating am I?

So after a busy day, Ron and I went out for "Missionary Splits', which is to say, we went as a couple with one of the full time sister missionaries.  After an intense type of day - Missionary Splits is an intense type of night for me (I've talked about this before) - but I did have a good time once I ignored the "flight or fight" voice inside my head.



So - before the splits, I picked Ron up from the bus stop with a bag of burgers and fries which I had kept hot by placing the bag on the defroster on high with the fan going full blast so that they would keep warm.  I THOUGHT we'd eat them at the the bus stop.  Ron pulled out the fries (which I don't eat) and left the bag with the burgers on the seat.....open......getting cold.  "Let's go," he said.

So I closed the bag and put it back on the defroster.

"I detect that you're annoyed with me," he observed.

"Not at all," I replied.  "I just like my hamburgers hot."

Then we discussed why I wasn't eating my burger (because I was driving AND because I didn't want to eat my burger until he ate his)

"I wish you wouldn't do that," he said.

Well - it CERTAINLY seemed like a good opportunity to complete my "Dare for Day Five."

So I asked him - "What three things am I doing that irritates you?

"Well, this is a good example", he explained.  "You have a control issue.  You like things your way and you don't like it when you loose control."  (Fair enough)  Then he looked at me.  I nodded my head.

"You want three things?"  I nodded my head.

"Well, everything I can think of comes from that same point," he said.  (Fair enough)  I nodded my head.

"I'm suppose to ask you now, right"? 

"No, not at all.  No strings."

"Oh, okay," he replied.  Silence.......more silence......continued silence.

"So, what three things am I doing that irritate you?" he asked.

"Can I wait for a while before answering that because I don't want it to seem like I'm just giving you a rebuttal?" I asked.

Ron nodded his head.  I nodded my head. We finished our burgers.  We went to splits.  Not a bad exchange.



Tomorrow's challenge:

Choose today to react to tough circumstances in your marriage in loving ways instead of with irritation.  Begin by making a list below of areas where you need to add margin to your schedule.  Then list any wrong motivations that you need to release from your life.


Act 24:16  And herein do I exercise myself, to have always a conscience void of offence toward God, and toward men.


NOTE:  I'm confused - I mean....."..where I need to add margin to my schedule????  TRANSLATOR, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment