Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Last challenge - Dare 40

This last dare unfortunately seems like a throw-away because it simply doesn't apply to us.  It talks about writing and renewing vows.  Though this may be an excellent step for others, renewing our vows is not going to give us those actions needed to keep moving forward.  Rather, committing to our divine callings as an eternal family and as followers of Christ would be where we would want to place our faith and focus.  

Because we were married before I became a member I do, however, have a copy of the vows we made 32 years ago.

Ronald/Nina, will you have Nina/Ronald to be your wedded wife/husband, to live together in the holy estate of matrimony?  Will you love her/him, comfort her/him, honor and keep her/him in sickness and in health; and forsaking all others keep thee only unto her/him so long as you both shall live?



I Ronald/Nina take thee Nina/Ronald, to be my wedded wife/husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death us to part, according to God's holy ordinance: and thereto I pledge thee my faith.





The vows that we took a year later in the Temple were even more direct and allowed us to promise that we would be committed to each other for ever, and highlighted the power of eternal marriage.  

I am grateful that I am able to reflect upon the promises we gave each other as well as the promises Heavenly Father offered to us.  This union of three is a binding and wonderful contract and has blessed me all my life.  I love my husband  I love my family.  I love the Gospel.



"If young people “would resolve from the moment of their marriage, that from that time forth they would resolve and do everything in their power to please each other in things that are right, even to the sacrifice of their own pleasures, their own appetites, their own desires, the problem of adjustment in married life would take care of itself, and their home would indeed be a happy home. Great love is built on great sacrifice, and that home where the principle of sacrifice for the welfare of each other is daily expressed is that home where there abides a great love”  
Harold B. Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment