Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Dare 35 - Marriage Mentor

I have lots of marriage mentors I can think of.  Chris and Debbie King, Steve and Catherine Holloway, Warren and Bonnie Archer.  But it just so happens (though I'm beginning to believe that there are no such things as circumstances) that Heavenly Father already led me to the answer through my Ipod.

I've been studying some of the more unique publications available to us through Church published electronic libraries and came across the "Marriage and Family Relations" Study Guide.  It seemed like such a perfect companion to what I've been trying to accomplish.



The first part is about marriage, the second part is about families.  Here are the chapters for the sections on marriage:


Ron and I took this course a few years ago and it was great then.  We really grew from it.  But I think I'm enjoying it even more now.  I particularly appreciated this information from Lesson 2:  Developing Unity:

If we are to have unity, there are commandments we must keep concerning how we feel. We must forgive and bear no malice toward those who offend us. The Savior set the example from the cross: “Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do” (Luke 23:34). We do not know the hearts of those who offend us. Nor do we know all the sources of our own anger and hurt. The Apostle Paul was telling us how to love in a world of imperfect people, including ourselves, when he said, “Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil” (1 Corinthians 13:4–5). And then he gave solemn warning against reacting to the fault of others and forgetting our own when he wrote, “For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as … I am known” (1 Corinthians 13:12).

All of the lessons seem to have been developed from talks given by our Church Leaders.

Yes, I think I have found my mentor - or 'mentors'. 

Next Challenge - Dare 36  Commit to reading the Bible every day.  Find a devotional book or other resource that will give you some guidance.  If your spouse is open to it, see if they will commit to daily Bible reading with you.  Begin submitting each area of your life to its guidance and start building on the rock.

Romans 15:4  For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment