Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Wow Life: Will It EVER End? (yes it will, this is Part 3 of 3)


For those who need a focus date in sight, go ahead and set a date for completion….but do not determine how much weight you will lose – just tell yourself that you will diet up to a certain date and then reassess…..but you have to really commit to give it your all during that time frame. I told myself that I would diet until October 31st. By then, I was on a roll and extremely happy, so I moved my date to after the holidays. Again, I was happy, so I gave myself permission to go just a little longer because my goal was just around the corner. For some, this will be the way to keep from getting discouraged (you never have to ask ‘when will it end?’….you already know). For others, this may just encourage you to quit completely when you get to your date….but again, if you were honest and stuck to your full commitment, you should have made enough progress to make a real difference in your life.

So, obviously, this system worked for me, but not without a few bumps and bruises along the way. I wayyyyyy underset my caloric intake at 1,000 - 1,200 calories a day. I know, I know. I went in with my eyes open on that one, but it’s a vast improvement over the days when I limited myself to 650 a day (eating disorder, remember?) Well, I suffered for it by developing gallstones. It turns out that this is a common ailment for people who lose weight too fast, making it impossible for their bodies to slough off the fat compounds and leftover minerals quickly enough. It was a painful lesson, eventually rectified by having my gall bladder removed. A little extreme by anyone’s book, I assure you. Here is a link to a page maintained by the National Institute on Health and the US Dept., of Health and Human Services regarding gallstones. Look towards the middle of the page for information on weight loss as a cause of gallstones:


http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/gallstones.htm#weightloss

- so everyone repeat after me: "I will NOT try to rush losing weight. Slow and steady means good and healthy....and more success! Those who lose weight at a steady pace will be more successful at maintaining a long term weight loss than those who dodn't.



As mentioned, I successfully lost the weight and improved my overall health with rigorous exercise. The results are beyond my wildest dreams. Low cholesterol, excellent health, my joints are no longer ‘degenerating’, my asthma is practically nonexistent, and best of all – no acid reflux I’m completely off the four medications I was taking. I feel soooooo much better. I can climb my 1/2 mile driveway without stopping. I even feel pretty.....except right after I exercise. Yuck.

I've mentioned the fact that I've gained a little back. It's true, and I'm not happy about it, but there seems to be a rule of thumb, at least in my life. I can slowly slip back into my old habits without much trouble, and when I do - and this may shock some of you - I GAIN WEIGHT!


This brings me to one last piece of advice. If you can find it, I HIGHLY suggest you find the book entitled "Making Peace With the Image In the Mirror" by Steven R. Hawks. It's still listed on Amazon.com in their USED BOOKS. I purchased four of these books when it first came out to share with friends like me who were dealing with negative body issues and wondering why they couldn't just buckle down and lose the weight. I've talked to Dr. Hawks, a university professor who has conducted international studies regarding body image and eating disorders, on a few occasions. Amazing man.

Well, I hope this information is helpful. It's just my experiences. But it's been a lifetime of learning and I think.....just maybe......I'm almost there.

End of part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment