Saturday, November 22, 2008

What I Know


Ours is an apostolic church. I just don't have an apostolic heart. I'm always afraid that I will offend someone or cause discomfort. The Internet has provided an avenue for virtual anonymity, or at the very least, a platform to be able to say what we might not have the courage or fortitude to say in person. I'm not sure how virtuous that is, but at the very least, I appreciate the opportunity to practice my faith by offering my inner most thoughts.


The church in which I belong to has taken some amazing hits lately. I believe with my whole heart that the Church leaders knew that by taking a public stand on a very hotly contested issue recently, that we would be thrown into the public light for close examination. I will not hide from that light, nor will I shirk my duty as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to express my support and gratitude for honest and inspired leaders. The world may not understand, but if they were to look inside our faith rather than believe the nay saying of others, they would see that we are a Church of love and unshakable faith. We are committed to the Lord's commandments, and no one else. Our foundation is strong and sure and never has nor never will be based on public opinion or speculation.


Twice a year, every year, our Church holds General Conference. Our Church leaders speaks to all of us - and their counsel is broadcast around the world. I cannot more concisely or eloquently express the truth better than this 11 minute review of counsel from our last conference (October, 2008). If you really want to know who we are, you will find it here in this video. If you want to know more, this link also takes you to the conference in its entirety (the 11 minute review is the first video and is entitled "New Highlights Video":




No comments:

Post a Comment