Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Can I have a little WHINE with my breakfast, please?

What is it about summer that brings out the crankiness in people?  I read that the heat can do that to ya, but then again, I've read that about full moons, long winters and Diet Coke.  So there you go.  It's all working against us.

So the conversation with my husband this morning went like this:

Me:  There's this guy at the gym that's really getting on my nerves!  He is always leaving as I'm arriving.  Three years of the same old joke.  "I'm sorry Ma'dam, you're too late.  It's all over."  I'm done politely laughing.  I can't take it anymore!  

Ron:  So have you told him that?  Have you said "Look, you've told me that joke everyday for 3 years?

Me:  No, that seems confrontational.  I don't do confrontational.  I'm really uncomfortable with that.  I'll tell you what I'm doing.  I'm leaving 5 minutes earlier.  That way, I get there before he's going out the door.

Ron:  (Smirk)  GEEESSSSHHHH!   You mean to tell me that you would actually disrupt your schedule before you'd say something to the guy?

Me:  He's old.  I've been told he has dementia.  He's not going to remember, and I'd just feel mean saying it.  I'm not COMFORTABLE with that.

Ron:  So you're telling me that you can't just tell him that you don't want to hear the joke anymore?  You are unwilling to talk to him about it?  DOES THAT REALLY MAKE ANY SENSE TO  YOU?

Me:  I told you, I'm UNCOMFORTABLE doing that.  I can't be confrontational.  I'm not able to do that!

Ron:  So what you saying to me is that you would rather be miserable than just talk to the guy?

Me:  SPLOOOOKKKKKKSSSSSHHHH!  (That's my head blowing up)

So - here you are.  My example of a normal conversation between the man with no fear and the woman who is afraid of everything.  I'm talking about what I'm F-E-E-L-I-N-G ....he's trying to fix me.

Did I say I wanted to be fixed?  Did I say I want to be mean?  Did I SAY I wanted to be judged and laughed at?

Why no.  No, I did not.

Now, in the interest of fair play, I am going to post my husband's view of male/female conversations.






Okay, fine.  He MAY have a point.

3 comments:

  1. if it makes you feel better, I know exactly what you're trying to say! Love the comic too... it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm a big chicken too when it comes to confrontation. But I'm also kinda with Dad on this one. I think you should say SOMETHING. Especially because no one, not even you, can convince me that you are not brave. My suggestion, however, is to try and make your meeting fun. Try saying "Hi, Mr. (find out his name if you can that will catch him off guard maybe)". Or be the white rabbit - tell HIM you are late.
    I'm not even as imaginative as you are. You could probably think of something even more fun.

    ReplyDelete