Wednesday, June 3, 2009

My impressions of Lubbock TX

Lubbock Texas is a dry, flat place. Very dry. Very flat. Very brown.



Not a place I would pick for summer vacation. But the decision as to where I would be spending the next few week were made for me when my son and his wife announced last winter that our 12th grandchild was going to make their appearance this June. I flew into town on Tuesday, May 26th. 15 long hours of travel. 4 airplanes. 1 delay. Not as bad as it could have been, all considering.

I got in after the two current children belonging to this particular clan were in bed. I was told I would have to wait until morning before the hugging could begin. No amount of pouting seemed to work.

It's alright. I'm getting my fill now.


So, on top of waiting for baby, I am busy with three big chores.


1. Help with the children. FUN!
2. Cook dinner every night - utilizing my handy dandy knowledge of low fat cooking. My daughter-in-law is thrilled. My son? Not so much.
3. Help pack. Why? Because two weeks after the baby is due.....they're moving from hot ol' Texas to....hot ol' Salt Lake City (yup, they're crazy)

So - it's a busy time, especially since I'm working at night (brother....attorney....marketing.....on-line).

So the BIG focus for me, of course, is baby #12.


Michael and Havilah (the aforementioned parents) decided that this time around they didn't want to know whether they were having a boy or a girl. Being that this is their last child, they decided they wanted the fun experience of having it as a surprise. Havilah was due on June 8th, but was positive she'd go early like the last two. We've spent the last week staring at her belly, chanting encouragement and minor threats. It hasn't worked so far.

Neither has long walks, running around the park, swimming at the pool or chocolate Lots of chocolate - though Havilah appreciated that special effort anyway.

This article is more about my trip to Lubbock than tardy grandbabies anyway.....so, here is everything you could POSSIBLY want to know about Lubbock, Texas and never thought you'd ask:


The county of Lubbock was founded in 1876. It was named after Thomas S. Lubbock, a former Texas Ranger and the brother of Francis R. Lubbock, the governor of Texas during the Civil War.

The settlement that is the present-day city of Lubbock was not formed until late 1890.






Downtown Lubbock has taken quite a beating. Tornados. Duststorms. It ain't pretty.








There is an ancient dig site where they have found evidence that some group already discovered that living in Lubbock might not be the best plan. They left over 2,000 years ago (smart!).





In 1925, Texas Technological College (today Texas Tech University) opened its doors. They are called the Raiders. They love football.




There are a couple claims to fame here. For instance, this is the birthplace of Buddy Holly







...and of course, there's always the barbecues (like on EVERY corner!)


Oh, alright.....some are much better than this, but you get the picture.

Now you might think I'm unfairly painting Lubbock as an undesirable town. I'm not trying to....really! In my defense, I even looked up the words "Lubbock" and "pretty" on Google. The statement that came up was as follows:

"Lubbock is still pretty bad"

They were talking about their freeway system, but you get the picture.

Now if any of my readers are from Lubbock, have family from Lubbock, met their true love in Lubbock or for some reason have fond memories of Lubbock, I tip my hat to you. I, for one, am really looking forward to seeing green again.





But first, I'm heading to Austin, TX for a week.......to see the bats.






And the adventure continues.........

No comments:

Post a Comment